Adult day care facilities are designed for older adults who can no longer manage independently, or who are isolated and lonely. Adult day care is a planned program of activities designed to promote well-being though social and health-related services. Adult day care centers operate during daytime hours, Monday through Friday. The goal for care in these facilities is:
- To provide older adults an opportunity to get out of the house and receive both mental and social stimulation
- To give caregivers a much-needed break in which to attend to personal needs, or simply rest and relax
For people with Alzheimer’s and dementia, adult day centers provide a chance to be social and to participate in staffed activities such as music and exercise programs.
Adult Day Care: Services Provided
The services provided vary depending upon the center. Common types of services include:
- Counseling – The center may provide support services, such as guidance on outside resources and arrangement for supportive care in the home.
- Health services – Patients with Alzheimer’s may require medical services (i.e., insulin shots, help with medication, etc.). Some centers may also provide blood pressure checks, as well as physical evaluations, and dental, eye, or ear examinations.
- Nutrition – Centers provide meals and snacks, and often accommodate a special diet or provide a culturally specific menu. Some centers also offer nutritional education programs.
- Personal care – Centers may provide help with hairstyling, toileting, eating, showering and other personal care tasks.
- Activities – Daily activities may include music, art, recreation, discussion and support groups. Some also provide special activities for people with dementia.
- Behavior management – Some centers specialize in dealing with behaviors associated with dementia – wandering, incontinence, hallucinations, sexually inappropriate behavior, or speech difficulties.
- Therapy – Some centers help arrange for needed physical, occupational or speech therapy with onsite or on-call therapists.
- Special needs – Some centers are equipped to deal with someone who uses a wheelchair, who is hearing or visually impaired, or who is handicapped in another way.
Our Insurance Program Steps Up
With the diverse and extensive services provided by adult day care facilities come risks that require a total insurance solution. Highland Risk Services, a national leading wholesaler, is poised to help you – our agency partners – provide a customized insurance program to fit your client’s risk profile. This includes coverage for slips and falls, lawsuits arising from allegations of sexual or physical abuse and neglect, property damage, work-related claims of discrimination and harassment, employee injuries and more. Our portfolio of coverages includes:
- General Liability
- Employee Benefits Liability
- Commercial Property
- Professional Liability
- Sexual Abuse & Molestation
- Cyber Insurance
- Employment Practices Liability
- Commercial Auto
- Commercial Umbrella
- Workers Compensation
You can get a more detailed view of our program highlights here. In addition, Highland Risk works with top-tier, A-rated markets, with our programs available nationally.
We Focus on Supporting Your Future Growth
What we do is not as important as how we do it. We invite you to explore the Highland Risk difference. Just give us call at (847) 832-9100 to learn more about us, our coverage lines and programs and how we can serve you and your clients’ needs.