Long-term acute care hospitals (LTACHs) furnish extended medical and rehabilitative care to individuals with clinically complex problems, such as multiple acute or chronic conditions, that need hospital-level care for relatively extended periods. Characteristics of a LTACH include:
- Provides highly advanced and intensively focused care for higher acuity patients who have not responded to short-term treatment in traditional general hospitals.
- The average length of stay is 25 days as compared to a 3-5 day average in a general hospital.
- Patients appropriate for LTACHs include those who may be ventilator dependent or suffering from multi-organ failure or deep wound ulcerations.
- The goal of care is to either rehabilitate patient (who may be discharged to another Post Acute Care Facility) or to give them care permanently at the LTACH.
LTACHs v. Traditional Hospitals
The biggest difference between a LTACH and a traditional hospital lies in specialization. LTACHs specialize in Long Term Acute Care services, while a traditional hospital offers many general services such as emergency rooms, maternity wards, and other services.
The second difference is that LTACHs may offer better care for patients that fit their specialization. The LTACH can focus very high standards on just a relatively small list of ailments, where the traditional hospital is more “spread-out” across a wide range of medical specialties. This is not to say that you cannot receive good acute care in a traditional hospital; a Long Term Acute Care Hospital is set up to specialize in acute care.
Mitigating Risk, Providing Coverage Solutions
National wholesaler Highland Risk Services specializes in assisting our agents in providing a total risk management and insurance solution for LTACHs. Some of the risks we can help your clients address with risk management strategies includes: the prevention of malnutrition and dehydration; minimizing injurious falls; stemming the potential of adverse drug reactions; managing elopement or wandering; the overuse and/or misuse of medications; and violation of patient’s rights; among others. Our broad portfolio of insurance coverages is designed to respond in the event of an injury or loss and includes:
- General Liability
- Employee Benefits Liability
- Commercial Property
- Professional Liability
- Sexual Abuse & Molestation
- Cyber Insurance
- Employment Practices Liability
- Commercial Auto
- Commercial Umbrella
- Workers Compensation
You can get a more detailed view of our program highlights here. In addition, Highland Risk works with top-tier, A-rated markets, with our programs available nationally.
We Focus on Supporting Your Future Growth
What we do is not as important as how we do it. We invite you to explore the Highland Risk difference. Just give us call at (847) 832-9100 to learn more about us, our coverage lines and programs and how we can serve you and your clients’ needs.